Mars Attacks! is a 1996 horror comedy B-film.
Martians take delight in taking over the Earth., and most weapons fail. However, the Martians overplay their hand as they do not anticipate an unlikely attack.
- Jack Nicholson as James Dale/Art Land
- Glenn Close as Marsha Dale
- Annette Bening as Barbara Land
- Pierce Brosnan as Donald Kessler
- Danny DeVito as Rude Gambler
- Martin Short as Jerry Ross
- Sarah Jessica Parker as Nathalie Lake
- Michael J. Fox as Jason Stone
- Rod Steiger as General Decker
- Tom Jones as Tom Jones
- Jim Brown as Byron Williams
- Luke Haas as Richie Norris
- Natalie Portman as Taffy Dale
- Pam Grier as Louise Williams
- Lisa Marie as Martian Girl
- Brian Haley as Mitch
- Sylvia Sidney as Florence Norris
- Jack Black as Billy Glen Norris
Additional Cast Edit
- Ray J. as Cedric Williams
- Paul Winfield as General Casey
- Roger Jackson as Martian Transportator Device
- Brandon Hammond as Neville Williams
- Jerzy Skolimowski as Dr. Zeinger
- Frank W. Welker as Various Martian
- The film had been billed as a B-movie that starred many A-list actors. All the A-list actors were killed off in the film with the exception of Annette Bening.
- The Martian firearms emitted either green or red rays, an inside joke to it being a Christmas film.
- The Martians were entirely CGI. However, one actress played a live-action Martian; Lisa Marie. She was the prostitute disguise of the Martian assassin, and wore two wigs to make her hair look like a gigantic bouffant.
- The film continues Burton's tradition of recycling cast members from previous films. Sylvia Sidney had been in Beetlejuice, Danny DeVito in Batman Returns, O-Lan Jones in Edward Scissorhands. It is one of the few Burton films where Johnny Depp did not appear. Jack Nicholson, who had starred in Batman, was approached by Tim Burton into working with him again on the basis that he could select any role he wanted. Nicholson jokingly remarked "All of them!" To somewhat oblige the joke, Burton agreed to give a dual role to Jack Nicholson, the sleazy Art Land and the upright President James Dale.
The critical reaction to Mars Attacks! was mixed. Based on 63 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, 52% of the reviewers enjoyed the film, with an average score of 5.9/10. By comparison, Metacritic calculated an average score of 52/100 from 19 reviews.
Pee-wee's Big Adventure · Beetlejuice · Batman · Edward Scissorhands · Batman Returns · Ed Wood · Mars Attacks! · Sleepy Hollow · Planet of the Apes · Big Fish · Charlie and the Chocolate Factory · Corpse Bride · Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street · Alice in Wonderland · Dark Shadows · Frankenweenie · Big Eyes · Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children · Beetlejuice Returns
The Island of Doctor Agor · Doctor of Doom · Stalk of the Celery Monster · Luau · Vincent · Hansel and Gretel · Frankenweenie · Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp · The Jar · Conversations with Vincent · The World of Stainboy · Kung Fu · Mannequin · Bones · Here With Me