Lydia is shown with jet black hair which she often wears in a bushy ponytail with long parted bangs. She wears pale face makeup and peach eye shadow around her eyelids, under her eyebrows and above her cheekbones.
Lydia is a serious but kind girl who is sensitive beyond her Goth dress and feels isolated in the world. Her father and step-mother do not take anything she says seriously and often ignore her for their own selfish pursuits. Lydia loves writing poetry, taking photographs, and loves anything pertaining to the supernatural and paranormal. Despite her young age, Lydia appears to be the most sensible member of the Deetz household. By the end of the film, she is more happy and well-adjusted because Adam and Barbara Maitland become active parental figures alongside Charles and Delia Deetz, who take a stronger role in her upbringing after having seen her nearly forced into marriage with Betelgeuse (Beetlejuice).
- In the Beetlejuice (TV series) Lydia is the step-daughter of Delia Deetz, also in Beetlejuice film, is Delia's step-daughter.
- Lydia is very similar to Elsa Van Helsing, also is portrayed by Winona Ryder.
- Lydia and Elsa are goth.
- Lydia's grade in Science is C, but in Math is A.
- Lydia also is similar to Edward Scissorhands.
- Lydia and Edward are both goth, polite, serious and mature.